The sharing and use of on-board 4D trajectory data by the ground ATC systems, together with the Datalink performances estimation during the flight path, will result in:
- improved predictability of DL performances during flight paths
- improved efficiency of ATM services delivery, resulting in an overall decrease of Datalink radio resources need while achieving Safety and Performance targets. This is achieved by the Controlling Function to best match “instantaneous” communication demands and “instantaneous” communications capabilities
- minimization of communication issues in ATM air-ground communication and high reduction of the need of “emergency and not routine” voice communications, implying less tactical interventions to de-conflict the situations by controllers and pilots. This is achieved by the Monitoring Functions performed on the “instantaneous” capabilities of Datalink and the “instantaneous” communication transaction needs
- improved Safety and Efficiency of civilian RPAS C2 Datalinks, minimizing the use of RPAS safety procedure and favouring RPAS insertion in Civilian Airspace, considering the ATM Roadmap objective to insert RPAS in civilian non segregated airspace
- improved service of Global Flight Tracking of Aircraft delivering the aircraft position as part of the 4D KPI tagging;
- reduced Air Navigation Service cost, through savings obtained by improving the Air Navigation Service productivity and the frequency spectrum usage.
Aligned with the target TRL level 2, starting from the basic principles of the SAPIENT idea, other applications and ATM services could be discovered and defined during the project timeframe.